Hay is an essential resource in Stardew Valley and is required to feed animals. The greater the number of animals, the more hay will be needed for upkeep. While getting hay may seem easier said than done, there are a couple of ways to get some easily.
Players have multiple options to get hay in Stardew Valley, some easier than others. However, this guide will outline all available options and provide other useful tidbits for players to maximize their game.
How to Get Hay in Stardew Valley – Solutions
Players that want to get hay in Stardew Valley can opt for any one or a combination of the following options:
Build a Silo
Players that plan to have a lot of livestock on their farm should opt for this solution first and foremost. Building a silo will allow players to start harvesting hay instead of purchasing it from Marnie.
To build a silo, follow these steps:
- Visit Robin at her shop north of the town square on mountain road.
- Be sure to visit Robin’s shop between 9 AM and 5 PM, except on Fridays when the shop closes at 4 PM.
- Talk to Robin and select Construct Farm Buildings.
- Scroll through the list of construction options.
- Select Silo > Build.
- Choose where to build the silo.
100g, 10 Clay, 100 Stone, and 5 Copper Bar is required to construct a silo.
Robin will take two days to construct the silo, which will be able to store 240 hay.
After players have built a silo, they can use a scythe to cut the grass and make it into hay. If a silo is not built, cutting the grass will not produce hay.
It is worth noting players should build a silo before they even start construction on barns for the animals. This strategy will allow players to stock up on hay before needing it. Players that build barns and buy a lot of livestock without stocking up on hay will end up with starving animals.
Harvest Grass or Wheat for Hay
Players can purchase grass or wheat from Pierre to plant it and harvest it for hay using a scythe. Apart from solving the hay problem, planting grass or wheat allows the animals to graze, negating the need to harvest it in the first place.
To harvest grass or wheat for hay, follow these steps:
- Head to Pierre’s shop north of the town square between 9 AM to 5 PM, except for Wednesdays.
- Talk to Pierre to start shopping.
- Scroll down the list to find Grass Starter.
- Select Grass Starter.
- Now, head back to the farm and plan the Grass Starter.
- Once planted, players can cut it for hay. However, it is better to let it grow and spread by leaving it for a couple of days.
Use the scythe to harvest hay, as using any other weapon will cut the grass without providing hay.
Purchase Hay from Marnie
Players that are falling short on hay can purchase it from Marnie. Each piece of hay will cost 50g and can be bought from Marnie’s Ranch located south of the player’s farm in Cindersap forest.
To purchase hay from Marnie, follow these steps:
- Visit Marnie’s Ranch and talk to her.
- Select Supplies Shop.
- Hay will be the first item available for purchase on the list.
- Select the Hay to purchase it.
Purchasing hay from Marnie is the easiest way to get about the valuable commodity, but the cost can quickly stack up significantly during the early game when money is scarce. For this reason, players should harvest hay instead by building a silo and cutting grass.
Alternatives for Getting Hay
- Trade with the Desert Trader
Players can trade an Omni Geode with the Desert Trader for three pieces of hay.
After earning friendship points with Marnie, players may receive 30 pieces of hay for free.
Stardew Valley is available on Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
MORE: Games to Play If You Like Stardew Valley
Read original article here: gamerant.com
- Stardew Valley: How To Get Hay
- Check all news and articles from the latest GUIDES updates.
- Please Subscribe us at Google News.